Thyroid, a butterfly shaped gland in our neck has a lot to do. The metabolism rate controlled by the hormone secreted by this gland is crucial for the growth and development in the body. But who knew? Little fluctuations in this gland could affect your body in different ways. Weight, hair loss, mood swings, irregular menstrual cycles, what not?
Hypothyroidism is one of the conditions caused due to fluctuation in the thyroid hormone, the other being hyperthyroidism. Although these thyroid problems affect the same gland, they have varied effects on your body.
Hypothyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland is underactive and doesn’t secrete enough hormones for the body to function properly. Hyperthyroidism is a condition that is otherwise. These have several effects on the person physically and emotionally. Thyroid patients often turn to medication and treatment to control the hormone levels, and that stretch for years together. A few turn to home remedies and other tips and tricks to deal with the thyroid disease while others turn to yoga.
It is a proven fact that Yoga helps vitalize the body and keeps one stress-free and healthy, if practised on a regular basis. Yoga also helps in regulating the thyroid levels of a hypothyroidism patient.
This video shows a few Yoga asanas you can practice to relieve the condition of underactive thyroid and other related problems.
Now, let’s discuss about each asana in detail:
1. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose): Sarvangasana improves the functioning of thyroid gland by increasing the flow of oxygen and blood. Start by laying down on the floor. Lift both legs up and support them with your hands. Now, bring back the hands to the resting position while stretching the legs as much as possible. Stay in the position for a while and slowly get back to where you started.
2. Halasana (Plough Pose): To perform the Halasana, start off by laying down with your legs closer. Raise both the legs and stretch them all the way back until they touch the floor. All the while, make sure your hands are in the normal position. Keep breathing, and bring your legs back to the starting position. Halasana helps in the overall performance of thyroid and para thyroid glands.
3. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): Start by lying flat on your belly. Raise your upper body backwards slowly as you breathe harmoniously. Hold the position as long as you can and gradually, get back to the starting position. Bhujangasana serves as one of the basic asanas in yoga for thyroid.
4. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose): Dhanurasana, or the Bow Pose improves the secretion of thyroid hormone, and is one of the base Yoga poses for thyroid. In order to perform Dhanurasana, lie flat on your stomach. Raise both your legs up and hold the ankles with your hands. Inhaling, raise your torso as much as possible. Get back to the original position slowly while exhaling.
5. Ustrasana (Camel Pose): Start off with Vajrasana. Now, stand on your knees with hands close to the thighs. Stretch your hands up and touch your individual heels with respective hands. Bend back and stay in the position for as long as possible. Release slowly and get back to the original position. Ustrasana helps in stretching the throat, thus simulating the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
Practise these asanas on a daily basis to improve the functioning of thyroid and live a healthy life.